Category: jiiygwzc

first_img Star Files Neil Patrick Harris Related Shows No one said it was easy being a transgender rock goddess. Hedwig and the Angry Inch star Neil Patrick Harris stopped by Good Morning America on April 17 (after appearing on the show earlier this week) to speak with Robin Roberts about becoming Hedwig and yes, what it feels like “having a snake down your pants.” The Emmy winner, who was sporting black nail polish, explained the “micromanaging on multi-tasky levels” required for the role. He also revealed that nail polish and glitter are not the only Hedwig-isms that stick around after the curtain call, saying, “fishnets are not cute on your feet…I’m bruised up all over the place.” And what do his kids have to say about Dad’s dressing room? “They think it’s hilarious,” Harris says. “Harper loves the glitter.” So do we, Harper. So do we. Take a look at the interview below, and catch Hedwig live at the Belasco Theatre! Show Closed This production ended its run on Sept. 13, 2015 View Comments Hedwig and the Angry Inchlast_img read more

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Sang ho KimA manhunt is underway for a gunman who killed an East Garden City lighting company employee and seriously wounded the firm’s owner in a shooting that sparked lock downs at nearby schools, businesses and Roosevelt Field Mall, Nassau County police said.Sang Ho Kim, 63, was identified as the suspect who walked into Savenergy on South Street near the corner of Ring Road a block southeast of the mall, opened fire and fled in an SUV toward the mall shortly after 10 a.m. Wednesday, police said.“The motive here appears to be work-related,” Chief of Department Steve Skrynecki told reporters at a news conference near the scene, describing Kim as a disgruntled vendor. “It seems to be over some bad business deal.”He did not immediately release the identities of the victims. The FBI and New York State police were among the agencies assisting police in the massive manhunt, which included building-by-building searches in the area.The proximity to the mall led some to mistakenly believe that there was a gunman on the loose in the shopping center, but police said the suspected gunman does not appear to be on a random killing spree.The area was abuzz with police activity as unmarked units sped to and from the scene, news and police helicopters hovered above and people turned away from the mall gathered in the media staging area to learn what happened.One man who was trying to go to the mall with his son but was turned away only to find out that it was because of a shooting asked: “What’s the world coming to?”Skrynecki said no patrons were being allowed into the mall and anyone who leaves is being checked first.Steve Skrynecki, NCPD Chief of Department, at a press conference Wednesday regarding shooting in Garden City. (Rashed Mian/Long Island Press)David Kilmnick, CEO of the nonprofit Long Island GLBT Services Network, which has a center across the street from Roosevelt Field, was one of the many people secured inside. Police had directed him into the shopping center at about 10:30 a.m. after an unsuccessful attempt to access his group’s parking lot.“I’ve been here for three hours,” he told the Press mid-afternoon from within the mall’s food court. He described the scene inside as “very calm,” with a substantial police presence, nearly all of its shops closed and about 150 or so others with him at the food court. “It was more of confusion,” he said of their experience. “People did not know what was happening.”Nassau Community College since lifted its lock down. The Garden City School District is releasing students at the usual time.The suspect is believed to be driving a white Honda Pilot with NY license plate No. FMA3648. Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Kim is asked to call Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.last_img read more

first_imgAfghanistan on Sunday reported its first fatality due to the novel coronavirus, after a man died in the north of the impoverished and war-torn country.Officials said the 40-year-old victim died in Balkh province, which borders Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, from complications stemming from the COVID-19 disease.Khaliullah Hekmati, the health director for Balkh province, told AFP that the man had suffered other health problems including with his liver and kidney. He was brought to a hospital on Wednesday, but was not quarantined there. Two foreign diplomats were also among the 10 new cases.Most of Afghanistan’s COVID-19 cases have been linked to neighboring Iran, one of the countries hardest hit by the disease, and where millions of Afghans live as refugees.The victim who died Friday had not returned from Iran recently, according to Hekmati.Since the outbreak began around a month ago, tens of thousands of Afghan refugees have returned home from Iran, but only a few hundred have been tested — raising fears the actual infection rate might be much higher than reported.Afghanistan’s porous borders, creaking hospitals, culture of hand-shaking and hugging, and large illiterate populations in crowded urban centres mean containing the crisis could be a huge challenge. “He died on Friday, his tests results came back positive today,” Hekmati said.”When we went to quarantine the family, they had already moved to an area under Taliban control.”The Taliban, who in the past have been repeatedly accused of murdering health workers, last week said they would not obstruct health organizations battling the coronavirus crisis.Afghan health officials have so far reported 34 cases of the novel coronavirus, including 10 new cases Sunday that saw the first two confirmed infections in the densely populated capital Kabul.center_img Topics :last_img read more

first_imgSweden will adjust a key corner of its strategy for dealing with COVID-19, after the death rate at care homes spiraled out of control.The government of Prime Minister Stefan Lofven plans to spend about 2.2 billion kronor ($220 million) on ratcheting up staff levels to help protect the country’s oldest citizens. Another 2 billion kronor will go toward compensating local authorities for the extra costs they’ve incurred in dealing with the pandemic, the government said on Tuesday.Like elsewhere, Sweden’s COVID-19 related deaths have disproportionately hit the elderly. But critics argue that many of those fatalities could have been avoided if the authorities had taken more steps to focus attention on the most vulnerable demographic. Topics : Sweden’s top epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, says fighting COVID-19 is a long-term undertaking, meaning temporary lockdowns will ultimately backfire. He says once they’re lifted, infection rates will again rise.Instead, Tegnell says moderate restrictions that allow much of normal life to continue are more likely to help guide a society through a pandemic that has a protracted lifespan.The Danish wayBut the strategy remains controversial. Within the Nordic region, contrasts have been drawn between Sweden and Denmark, which opted for a strict lockdown early on.Denmark is now in the second phase of reopening its economy. What’s more, recent data even suggest its infection rate is falling, and its death rate so far is less than a third Sweden’s.Denmark opened large swathes of its economy in mid-April, including primary schools and hairdressing salons. This week, Danish shops opened for the first time in two months, with museums and cinemas set to follow.center_img Earlier this month, Sweden said prosecutors had started an investigation into the high death rate at a care home. Half of those over 70 years old who have died from COVID-19 in Sweden lived in nursing homes, according to national statistics at the end of April. As of Monday, the country had registered 3,256 COVID-19 related deaths.Controversial approachSweden’s approach to handling the coronavirus pandemic has become a topic of international debate after it opted for a much laxer lockdown, and instead relied on its citizens to follow social distancing guidelines.Swedish gyms, schools, restaurants and shops have all remained open throughout the spread of the pandemic. The strategy has so far helped shield the economy from the worst, but Sweden’s death rate is about 32 per 100,000, compared with 24 in the US. and roughly 9 in neighboring Denmark.last_img read more

first_imgPennsylvania’s Every Student Succeeds Act Plan Receives Final Approval SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Press Release,  Schools That Teach Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that Pennsylvania’s federally-required replacement to No Child Left Behind has received final approval from the U.S. Department of Education (USDE). Pennsylvania’s Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Consolidated State Plan is the state’s most comprehensive federal education blueprint since 2002.“Today’s approval serves as an historic moment for public education in the commonwealth,” said Governor Wolf. “Pennsylvania is committed to ensuring that all students have access to an equitable, high-quality, well-rounded education, and our ESSA plan greatly enhances that mission. The plan provides critical resources to schools and a flexible framework through which teachers can teach and students can learn.”The plan sets ambitious goals for closing, and ultimately eliminating, achievement gaps; increases attention to student growth in school accountability and improvement efforts; and commits to a full, fair, and transparent presentation of school success based on a more comprehensive set of measures. As an example, a focus on STEM education, and the implementation of a new Career Ready Indicator, will highlight school success in career exploration activities, even down to the elementary level.Additionally, the plan includes the development of the Future Ready PA Index, a new, public-facing school progress report that expands the indicators used to measure school performance, and extends the comprehensive approach to ensuring student and school success. The Index will place additional emphasis on academic growth, a robust chronic absenteeism measure, attention to both four-year and extended-year graduation rates, and assessments of postsecondary readiness.“Pennsylvania’s plan reflects our guiding principles of transparency, equity, and innovation, and provides new flexibility to schools as they prepare students for success after graduation,” said Secretary of Education Pedro A. Rivera. “We are particularly proud of the extensive stakeholder engagement efforts undertaken during the planning process, which ensures that the plan aligns with the needs and priorities of Pennsylvania’s educators, students, and communities.”Pennsylvania’s ESSA Consolidated State Plan was submitted to USDE on September 18, 2017, after an extensive stakeholder engagement process. To develop the plan, the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE):Assembled four work groups – comprised of teachers, charter school and district level administrators, advocates, civil rights leaders, former policymakers from both parties, and others – to study key aspects of the law and develop framework recommendations;Commissioned an independent study to examine work group recommendations in the context of academic literature and other evidence;Testified before the House and Senate Education committees and worked with lawmakers to address plan components;Held six dedicated town halls in regions across the commonwealth to gather additional stakeholder feedback;Participated in approximately 30 statewide conferences, professional association meetings, and parent forums to reach more than 2,000 Pennsylvanians and present on the state’s ESSA planning and early implementation;Consulted with national nonpartisan policy and technical experts (American Institutes for Research, Council of Chief State School Officers, Education Commission of the States) to solicit additional insight, feedback, and suggestions for specific plan components; andPresented the plan for public comment in English and Spanish for a 30-day period, during which time PDE received more than 400 comments and suggestions.For more information about Pennsylvania’s education policies and programs, or to read the approved ESSA Consolidated State Plan, visit the Department of Education’s website at www.education.pa.gov or follow PDE on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.center_img January 17, 2018last_img read more

first_imgWAB and DeepWind plan to exchange and analyze information, experiences and knowledge and keep each other informed about progress in joint projects, as well as hold joint matchmaking and networking events. With the cooperation, the parties aim to promote the offshore wind industry and the production of green hydrogen at sea transnationally and to support the supply chains in both countries. “We visited our DeepWind colleagues in Aberdeen with several WAB members in January and immediately noticed our common ground: Our shared experience in the maritime industry plays an important role, as do the companies’ complementary backgrounds,” said WAB Managing Director Heike Winkler. German wind industry association WAB e.V. has signed a three-year cooperation agreement with Scottish partner DeepWind to collaborate for the expansion of offshore wind and the development of a market for green hydrogen from wind energy. “I am looking forward to our cooperation, with which we will create a platform for a closer exchange between our markets and which is intended to make it easier for small and medium-sized companies in particular to enter the market and simplify cooperation with larger market players.”last_img read more

first_imgDecatur County EMS Report (15)Decatur County Fire Report (18)Decatur County Incident Report (17)Decatur County Jail Arrest Report (17)last_img

first_imgManchester City captain Vincent Kompany insists it is a good time to play neighbours United, even though the form book suggests otherwise. City’s defeat at Crystal Palace left Manuel Pellegrini’s side fourth in the Barclays Premier League table, a point behind United. They head into the 165th Manchester derby in their worst form of the season, but that does not bother Kompany. Press Associationcenter_img “A derby is a derby,” he told mcfc.co.uk. “It doesn’t matter what place you are in the league, it’s a derby. If anything, it’s a good moment to go into a derby. “I guess the momentum is a little bit with our neighbours at the moment, but it’s the perfect place for us to go and try to rectify what we’ve had.” While many are now writing off City’s chances of defending their title and even speculating about their ability to hold on to a top-four spot, Kompany insists the players do not doubt themselves. “We are demanding with ourselves because we have to win,” he added. “My only concern is we get back to our best form. “I think it’s our general form that we have to improve. “I’ve learnt from the past seasons as well that finishing a season strongly can have an impact on your next season as well.” last_img read more

first_imgELLSWORTH — Seven players from Ellsworth High School were chosen Thursday to this year’s All-Penobscot Valley Conference first and second teams.For the Ellsworth baseball team, pitcher Matt Burnett was chosen as both the PVC Player of the Year and Pitcher of the Year for the second season in a row. Burnett also made the All-PVC first team after finishing the regular season with a 6-0 record and 0.68 ERA on the mound and a team-best .447 batting average at the plate.Senior Conner Wagstaff joined Burnett on the All-PVC first team with a 4-1 record and identical 0.68 ERA on the mound and .380 average and team-high 22 RBIs at the plate. Junior Jackson Curtis, who hit .418 and posted a team-high 23 base hits in the regular season, was the Eagles’ third All-PVC first-teamer.In softball, sophomore Sara Shea (.481 average and team-high 13 stolen bases in the regular season) and junior Trinity Montigny (.456 averaged and team-high 26 base hits) were chosen to the All-PVC first team for the Eagles. Sophomore Kayla Duhaime and senior Katie Hammer were selected to the second team.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textFor the Mount Desert Island baseball team, senior Drew Shea (.383 average and two home runs) was a first-team selection, and juniors Nick Corson and Sam Keblinsky were second-teamers. Senior Lindsey McEachern was named a first-team selection for the MDI softball team after posting a 1.17 ERA and 136 strikeouts in the circle and a team-best .420 average at the plate.last_img read more

first_imgWhen the calendar year of 2016 began, few would have imagined that Guyana’s basketball would end the year in the position it is in.That position is a good,so says National coach and president of the Guyana Amateur Basketball Association (GABA)Junior Hercules. There were 10 tournaments played in total at both the senior and junior level with the shining moments of the year coming from the Junior side of local basketball.The first noteworthy improvement Hercules mentioned was in the table officiating.“Our table official pool has increased, we’ve seen a more diverse pool with new faces and that is good,” stated Hercules. However,he added that there is a needed for improvement in refereeing.“Refereeing has to improve;it is not an attractive field so there is a lot of recycling of officials so there hasn’t been much improvement.”His recommendations included paying more attention to the field and not just talking about the deficiencies of the referees.Other signs of growth came from the Junior players. There were 8 junior tournaments played this year versus two senior tournaments. The reality check however came when junior players outplayed the senior players in the two senior tournaments. Stanton Rose was named MVP of the Road to Mecca 3 club tournament.Rose,along withTerron Welch,were the leaders on the senior team that travelled to Jamaica in November.“Our Under- 23s have definitely shown improvement by virtue of level of competition through school or GABA enhancement,” Hercules stated. He added that Guyana’s second place performance at the Caribbean Basketball Confederation (CBC) U-16 Championships was an indicator of growth.“Our second place at such a high level shows what can be achieved when adequate preparation is done, also our juniors have grown as a result of the international and regional exposures they have gotten.” On the senior side,he stated that there had only been two tournaments for the year,so an adequate assessment could not be given.For Hercules, a blueprint was set this year as to where basketball should go. “We need to make sure our school program is connected to clubs and our national programs, the framework is there, so the future looks promising. We’ve gotten more players exposed from around the country to basketball and that is a good sign”He added that what is needed is a coming together of will power and resources in addition to a coming together of decision makers that would definitely push basketball into the future.“We need a body to come together from the level of the Sports Commission;yes,the federation and association is there but we need better infrastructure and investments need to be made.”He finished by stating that Guyana has the potential to be at the level of other countries in terms of basketball development but the incentives just need to be present.last_img read more