Tag: Ryanphilip

TORONTO — The Toronto stock market closed higher Wednesday with the market finding support from energy stocks on a solid jump in crude prices.Here are the closing numbersTSX — 11,544.64 +32.42 0.28%S&P 500 — 1,341.45 -0.02 0.00%Dow — 12,604.53 -48.59 -0.38%Nasdaq — 2,887.98 -14.35 -0.49%The S&P/TSX composite index closed up 32.42 points at 11,544.64. The TSX Venture Exchange gave back 6.57 points to 1,192.79.Rising oil prices helped push the commodity-sensitive Canadian dollar up 0.26 of a US cent to 98.05 US cents amid data showing a widening of the trade deficit in May.Statistics Canada said the trade deficit with the world was US$793-million, up from US$623-million in April. Merchandise imports increased 0.4% on the strength of energy products while exports were relatively unchanged in May.New York markets were listless, reflecting investor disappointment that the minutes from the latest U.S. Federal Reserve meeting didn’t deliver a strong hint that another round of economic stimulus is on the way.The minutes showed Federal Reserve policymakers agreed last month that they might need to take more action to support growth if the U.S. economy loses momentum.They showed Fed officials signalled their concern that the struggling U.S. economy could worsen if Congress fails to avert tax hikes and across-the-board spending cuts that kick in at the end of the year.But “on balance, the minutes do not on the surface suggest a sizeable body of support for further immediate action,” said CIBC World Markets senior economist Peter Buchanan.“Although it should be borne in mind that the comments were made prior to recent data disappointments, including another sub-100 payrolls print in June,” he added.The Dow Jones industrials declined 48.59 points to 12,604.53.The Nasdaq composite index fell 14.35 points to 2,887.98 and the S&P 500 index dipped 0.02 of a point to 1,341.45.Hopes for more action from the Fed had risen in the past week amid disappointing readings on the American manufacturing and service sectors and job creation numbers for June that were below even modest expectations.Other central banks have moved recently to help keep the recovery on the rails.The European Central Bank and the People’s Bank of China cut lending rates last week. But slowing trade growth in China and weak jobs creation in the U.S. have investors worried that markets could languish until the Federal Reserve implements another round of Treasury bond purchases known as quantitative easing.But some analysts questioned the need for another round of QE.“We thought at the end of the year they were going to come out with (more quantitative easing), not because we thought it was needed but because that was going to be the sentiment of the market because of where Europe was going to drive things,” said Gareth Watson, vice-president, investment management and research at Richardson GMP Ltd.“Let’s be honest: what is quantitative easing? It is when a central bank steps in to provide liquidity when there is no liquidity available. And … there is no liquidity issue in the U.S. when it comes to financial institutions.”The energy sector ran up 1.75% as oil prices gained ground after weak Chinese trade data sent prices lower on Tuesday. Prices took off Wednesday after China’s auto industry said sales jumped a solid 9% in June despite a slowing economy. China is the world’s biggest market for new vehicles.Also, the U.S. government said oil supplies fell last week by 4.7 million barrels, triple the decline expected by analysts, which signals higher demand.The August crude contract on the New York Mercantile Exchange gained US$1.90 to US$85.81 a barrel, pushing the energy sector up 1.75%. Cenovus Energy gained $1.03 to $33.28 and Suncor Energy rose 53 cents to $29.25.The consumer staples sector also made headway. Quebec-based convenience store and fuel station chain operator Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. gained $2.20 to $48.10 on top of a gain of $1.66 Tuesday in the wake of a strong earnings report.Financials were also supportive with Manulife Financial ahead 14 cents to $11.10 while Scotiabank climbed 56 cents to $53.06.The gold sector was the leading decliner, down about 2.3% amid lower gold prices and a production warning from one of the biggest miners. Bullion declined US$4.10 to US$1,575.70 an ounce and Barrick Gold faded 71 cents to $35.66.Goldcorp Inc. tumbled $3.83 or 10.18% to $33.80 as the miner cut its 2012 production guidance, blaming operating delays at its Red Lake mine in Ontario and inadequate water supply at its Penasquito mine in Mexico. The Vancouver-based gold miner said it expected to produce between 2.35 and 2.45 million ounces of gold for the year, down from an earlier estimate of 2.6 million ounces.Mining stocks were weak amid worries about a global economic slowdown.The base metals sector dipped 0.83% with copper ahead five cents at US$3.45 a pound. Ivanhoe Mines shed 20 cents to $8.80 and Lundin Mining shed 12 cents to $3.99.The telecom sector was also a weight as Telus Corp. eased $1.01 to $62.23.In corporate news, Vancouver-based miner South American Silver Corp. is protesting Bolivia’s decision to revoke its licence to mine a rich silver deposit in the country and nationalize the project. The licence was cancelled Tuesday following opposition from Quechua Indians who had seized workers employed by the company to press their case.The stock has lost about half its value in the last two sessions, closing Tuesday at 49 cents on the TSX. It fell another 12 cents Wednesday to 37 cents.Here’s the news investors were watching today:Backlash grows after Spain reveals $80-billion in new austerity measuresCanada’s banks can weather global storm: WatchdogRemember last summer’s sell-off? Well, brace yourselfON DECK THURSDAYECONOMIC NEWSBank of Japan announces interest rate decision CANADA8:30 a.m.New housing price index (May): Economists expect 0.2% rise from the month before, 2.3% year over year UNITED STATES8:30 a.m.Weekly jobless claims: Economists expect 370,000 claims Import price index (June): Economists expect a 1.8% decline from month, 1.5% decline from year before 2 p.m.Treasury budget (June): Economists expect at US$60-billion deficit CORPORATE NEWSCANADACogeco Cable Q3 earnings: Analysts expect $1.08 a share Cogeco Inc Q3 earnings: Analysts expect $1.02 a share Corus Entertainment Q3 earnings: Analysts expect 50¢ a share UNITED STATESFastenal Q2 earnings: Analysts expect 37¢ a share read more

first_imgThe SNP had been due to launch their election manifesto on Tuesday but that will not go ahead.Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister and SNP leader, said: “My thoughts are with the victims, their families and all those who have been affected by this barbaric attack in Manchester.“The Scottish Government is working with Police Scotland and the UK Government to ensure that we have a full understanding of the developing situation.  I will convene a meeting of the Scottish Government’s Resilience Committee this morning to receive an update and to consider any implications for Scotland.” Ms Rudd said the Manchester explosion was an attack on some of the “most vulnerable in our society”.She said the intention of the attack was to “sow fear” but stressed that it would not succeed.In a statement, she said: “My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and the victims who have been affected, and I know the whole country will share that view.”I’d like to pay tribute to the emergency services who have worked throughout the night professionally and effectively – they have done an excellent job. My deepest condolences to the victims and families in Manchester. As always our emergency services have shown great bravery and heroism.— Tim Farron (@timfarron) May 22, 2017 Terrible incident in Manchester. My thoughts are with all those affected and our brilliant emergency services.— Jeremy Corbyn (@jeremycorbyn) May 22, 2017 My thoughts and prayers with all those affected by last night’s events in Manchester— Paul Nuttall (@paulnuttallukip) May 23, 2017 The Green Party has cancelled a planned poster launch as well as the launch of the party’s Welsh manifesto. Jonathan Bartley, the party’s co-leader, said: “Our thoughts are with those affected by this appalling incident in Manchester. For young people to be targeted in this way is utterly atrocious. “As ever our emergency services have done us proud – and we pay tribute to the police, firefighters and paramedics who stepped up in this time of need. Our country will never be divided by terror.” Our manifesto: Real political insight, free for 30 days.Rely on unrivalled insight and sharp analysis from our stellar team of Westminster insiders.Join the most trusted voice in politics. Follow Election 2017 with Telegraph Premium.Start your no obligation, 30 day free trial today. “The public should remain alert but not alarmed. If they have anything to report, they should approach the police.”But I have two further things to add. The great city of Manchester has been affected by terrorism before. Its spirit was not bowed; its community continued.”This time it has been a particular attack on the most vulnerable in our society – its intention was to sow fear – its intention is to divide. But it will not succeed.”The events in Manchester have prompted the UK’s political parties to suspend General Election campaigning.   Heartbreaking news from Manchester. My thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones or been injured in this barbaric attack.— Nicola Sturgeon (@NicolaSturgeon) May 23, 2017 “Later on this morning, I will be attending Cobra, chaired by the Prime Minister, to collect more information – to find out more – about this particular attack, and I can’t comment any more on that at the moment. Tim Farron, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, cancelled a campaign visit to Gibraltar and said: “The country is united in grief after this devastating terror attack.”Just as the country is focusing all its thoughts on the victims and their families, so politicians should come together in solidarity and respect for the innocent people caught up in this vile attack.”The emergency services have shown the highest levels of bravery and professionalism and deserve our deepest thanks.”The Liberal Democrats will suspend all national campaigning until further notice.”Paul Nuttall, Ukip leader, said: “Just woken to the terrible news in the heart of my constituency, Manchester. My prayers and thoughts are with those affected. Stay strong. “In light of what’s happened I have suspended the Ukip General Election campaign.” “I have spoken with the Prime Minister and we have agreed that that all national campaigning in the general election will be suspended until further notice.” Our thoughts are with Manchester.We will be postponing today’s planned manifesto launch.— The SNP (@theSNP) May 23, 2017 Campaigning ahead of the General Election has been suspended in the wake of a suspected terrorist attack in Manchester.Theresa May said the incident at Manchester Arena was being treated by police as an “appalling terrorist attack” while Amber Rudd, the Home Secretary, described the incident as “barbaric”.The Prime Minister will chair a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee on Tuesday morning at about 9am.Mrs May said in a statement: “We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack.”All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.” Mrs May had been due to visit the south west of England but the trip will not go ahead.Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, said the explosion in Manchester was a “terrible incident” and that his thoughts were with those affected.He said: “I am horrified by the horrendous events in Manchester last night. My thoughts are with families and friends of those who have died and  been injured.“Today the whole country will grieve for the people who have lost their lives.“I have spoken with Andy Burnham, the mayor of Manchester, who has fully briefed me on the operational response in the city.“I would like to pay tribute to the emergency services for their bravery and professionalism in dealing with last night’s appalling events. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

← Previous Story DREAMS COME TRUE: RK Vardar outplay SG Flensburg for F4 Next Story → HANDBALL GALA: Masters Handball World Cup starts in Omis Handball Club “Novi Beograd” and Sport Agency “Sport plus” organize the 2nd editon of  International handball tournament “New Belgrade Summer Cup”. The tournament will take place in Belgrade, in the period from June 26 to June 28, in three age categories: boys and girls born in 2001, 2003 and 2005 year.Last year, the tournament hosted 25 teams from 5 countries. This year we are expecting  more than 50 teams. All games on the New Belgrade Summer Cup tournament will be played in 4 sport halls: Hala Sportova, Hala Pinki, SC Master and Posco Arena.There will be a lot of tournament innovations, we will list a few: playing with the official tournament  balls, individual prizes for the best players in each game, livestreaming of all matches and much more!“New Belgrade Summer Cup” is the tournament in which male and female handball players will summarize the ended season and play for one more trophy.At the same time, they will have a great overture for the summer break, that starts in that period. Beside the handball competitions, the organizer is, as well, focusing on creating a memorable stay in Belgrade including: boat rides, touristic and shopping tours, field trips and a lot of social activities. We would like to stress out issue that besides giving the team awards, we will reward also the best individuals, says the chairman of RK Novi Beograd, Nikola Maksimovic.VESZPREM, MACCABI, PAOKThere are already 36 teams from four countries:Telekom Vesprem, RK Crvena Zvezda, HC Maccabi Rishon LeZion, RK Novi Beograd, HC Maccabi Tel Aviv, RK Sinđelić, HC Kiriat Ono, RK Radnički Obrenovac, HC Dimona, RK Briješće, RK Beograd, HC Nes Ziona, HC Xant, RK Krivaja , ŽRK Kolubara, RK Bijeljina, Kamp Dambo, Lokomotiva Brčko, HC KiriatHaim, HC Savyon, RK Maglaj, RK Žepče, HC PAOK, Taururnum, RK Nova Pazova…Organizers invite all the teams to aplly for the tournament by filling the online registration form on the official website www.handballsummercup.rs. read more