Tag: 上海龙凤

first_img Reporters Without Borders today welcomed a proposed amendment to Italy’s defamation law abolishing prison sentences for libel and urged parliament to pass it as soon as possible so that judges can review the cases of journalists who have already been given prison terms. The proposed reform was approved by the lower house’s judicial commission in a vote on 1 July.”The Italian courts have too often sentenced journalists to prison for libel, and this is unacceptable in a democracy and contrary to the recommendations of the United Nations, the European court of human rights and the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe,” Reporters Without Borders said in a letter to chamber of deputies president Pier Ferdinando Casini and senate president Marcello Pera. The organisation said the proposed reform had many flaws. Giving judges the power to ban journalists from practising their profession was particularly worrying. “Nonetheless, the abolition of prison sentences for libel would be a real victory for press freedom in Italy,” it stressed.While the existing law does not limit the size of fines for libel, the proposed amendment would set a ceiling of 5,000 euros. It also stipulates that when journalists are convicted for the first time, judges may ask the Journalists’ Association to apply sanctions ranging from a warning to suspension or expulsion from the association.In cases of subsequent offences, judges may themselves decide to ban journalists from working for six months to one year without referring to the Journalists’ Association.Parliament must decide whether the amendment will apply just to the traditional media or websites as well.Stefano Surace, the former editor of the weekly Le Ore, was sentenced in 2001 to more than two years in prison for libel. Raffaele Jannuzzi, a senator and former journalist with Il Giornale di Napoli, was sentenced to two and a half years for libel in 2002. And Massimiliano Melilli, a former journalist with the local weekly Il Meridiano, was given an 18-month prison sentence for libel earlier this year. But none of them is currently in prison as legal procedures are still pending. Receive email alerts to go further News ItalyEurope – Central Asia RSF_en On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia November 23, 2020 Find out more December 2, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information ItalyEurope – Central Asia center_img November 19, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Italy July 8, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Legislators move to abolish prison sentences for libel RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union News News News Organisation last_img read more

first_imgSANTA FE SPRINGS – Jerry Alvarado secured a coveted spot at the head of a line of more than 800 shoppers waiting for the Wal-Mart in Santa Fe Springs to open at 5 a.m Friday.To do so, he arrived at 5 p.m. Thursday.With a few friends, Alvarado camped outside the front doors, with a shopping cart nearby and blankets to keep warm.“We kept each other company through the night,” said the 22-year-old Santa Fe Springs resident, who held a ticket entitling him to a laptop computer that employees gave to the first 35 shoppers in line.Los Angeles-area malls overflowed with shoppers Friday, many of them bargain hunters who woke up before dawn and headed to malls and stores on what is called “Black Friday,” the traditional start of the holiday season and one of the busiest shopping days of the year.Holiday sales could top $439.5 billion, retail officials said. The average consumer is expected to spend $738 this season on gifts, decorations, cards, candy and food, according to the National Retail Federation.Some retailers opened as early as midnight Friday to give shoppers an early start. Other retailers offered gift certificates, prizes and other perks for early shoppers.More than 100,000 people were expected Friday at the Glendale Galleria. At the South Coast Plaza, more than 2,500 shoppers were outside the doors of Robinsons-May when it opened at 6 a.m., plaza spokeswoman Debra Gunn Downing told KCAL9.At the Wal-Mart in Santa Fe Springs, the crowd flooded into the store and headed toward the electronics department, where computers could be had for $398 and recordable DVD players were going for about $80 a piece.People could be heard yelling over the din, instructing family members to grab video games, Gameboys, slow-cook roasters and other items.“It’s a madhouse back there,” said Henry Redondo, who lucked out and got a ticket for a laptop computer, after another early shopper changed her mind about buying it.Fermin Acevedo was one of the first to get in – and out after finding everything he needed. He had waited in line since 8 p.m. Thursday, so when the doors finally swung open, he was ready.“I knew where the stuff I wanted was,” the 42-year-old Santa Fe Springs resident said, carrying out a recordable DVD player and a portable DVD player for his wife. “I went through the clothing department to get around the crowd.”Because sales in November and December can account for half of a store’s annual sales and profits, the day after Thanksgiving has come to be known as Black Friday – when the bottom line moves out of the red and into the black.The recent dip in fuel prices prompted the National Retail Federation to revise upward, from 5 percent to 6 percent, its projection for holiday sales.“This will go down as one of the earliest and most promotional Black Fridays in history,” said Tracy Mullin, NRF president and CEO. “Many stores opened earlier than ever before and retailers offered unbelievable sales and discounts to get people shopping.”Last year, shoppers spent $22.8 billion on holiday gifts the weekend after Thanksgiving.Jack Kyser of the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp. projected sales in Southern California to grow 6 percent to 9 percent.Last year, sales grew 6.7 percent national, according to the National Retail Federation. [email protected](562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_img Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Embed from Getty ImagesGerry Francis says he is open-minded about a future return to coaching following his recent departure from West Bromwich Albion.The Chiswick-born 66-year-old left Albion following their sacking of manager Tony Pulis, having also been part of the Welshman’s coaching staff at Stoke and Crystal Palace.Speaking on Sky Sports News, Francis said: “The situation is that if someone comes along with something for me today, tomorrow or whenever then I’ll think about it. Maybe I’ll do it and maybe I won’t.“If Tony gets another job and wants me to go with him, maybe I will or maybe I won’t. Or maybe I won’t do anything.“I’ll see what comes up and see what I feel like doing.”Francis, who made his name as a player at QPR and later had spells at Loftus Road as manager and director of football, also defended Pulis following criticism of West Brom’s style of play during their time at The Hawthorns.Francis said: “You’ve got to get a balance. All managers have their own way of playing and what they think is successful.“If you’re not one of the top six teams that are able to buy the best players in the league then you’re competing at times with players and teams that are better than you then you have to find a way to get results.“Crystal Palace fans were delighted with Tony. But it’s about results – what fans don’t like is to be losing.”last_img read more

first_imgFerndale >> Shortly before halftime, it looked as though it would be a knock-down, drag-out fight to the end. With a few minutes left in the third quarter, the outcome was no longer in doubt.The Fortuna Huskies used a 19-point third quarter to turn what was a two-point game just before halftime into a 42-14 rout over the Ferndale Wildcats in the 51st annual Milk Can Game at Ferndale High School on Saturday.“Everyone did their job, and when it comes to playing Ferndale, you have to do your …last_img read more

first_imgWASHINGTON, D.C. — Buster Posey has struggled in April before, but he’s never struggled quite like this.After undergoing August hip surgery to repair a microfracture, Posey is hitting just .200 with a .291 slugging percentage through his first 16 games following an extensive rehabilitation process.Despite consistently batting in the middle of the Giants lineup, Posey has driven in just one run thus far and admitted Wednesday he is disappointed in his early offensive results.“It’s a challenge …last_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) is taking President Donald Trump’s more protectionist moves on trade this week in stride, despite AFBF’s long-held support of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)Trump’s executive order to withdrawal the United States from TPP is not what the nation’s largest farm organization wanted, but it was no surprise after President Trump vowed to make that a priority during his campaign. Many in agriculture are now wondering what the new administration has planned for other trade deals, namely the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).“When NAFTA was first implemented, the U.S. had only $9 billion of ag exports with Mexico and Canada,” said Dave Salmonsen, Trade Adviser with the AFBF. “Today that number is $38 billion, so this trade deal has been beneficial to agriculture.”Leaders of both Mexico and Canada are open to new talks about trade. Those conversations will deal largely with manufacturing, though agriculture is also expected to come up.“There are some issues in the ag sector that we could move forward with, including remaining border barriers from Canada on dairy and poultry exports,” Salmonsen said. “If everything is back on the table we also have some issues with Mexico to hash out.”With recently becoming the number one corn importer, Mexico is proving to be an important market for U.S. farmers. In the 2015-16 crop year, Mexico imported nearly 13 million tons of corn. During the 2016 calendar year that number is 14 million tons, accounting for two straight years of record corn imports Mexico, knocking Japan out of the corn customer top spot.“It would be a pretty bad situation for American farmers if NAFTA was weakened or changed or thrown out of the window,” said Ryan LeGrand, the U.S. Grains Council director in Mexico. “What you would probably have is an increase in tariffs and that would cause Mexico to look south to Brazil and Argentina for more of their corn, cutting into our market share and eventually affecting the price of U.S. corn.”Mexico has the potential to grow as an importer of U.S. grains in the future, according to LeGrand.“Mexico’s animal producers are very technologically advanced, they’re progressive and they’re growing,” he said. “That means more production for Mexico and more need for grains, which should be U.S. grains as long as we keep NAFTA in place.”Commerce Secretary nominee Wilbur Ross, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and White House Trade Council head Peter Navarro, will negotiate the new bilateral trade deals with countries once related to the TPP, while Trump will meet soon with Canada and Mexico’s leaders on NAFTA.last_img read more

first_imgJuanfran has revealed that he is “sure” that Antoine Griezmann and everyone in the Atletico Madrid squad will be back next year to “play another final”Los Rojiblancos won their third Europa League crown on Wednesday’s final against Marseille at the Groupama Stadium in Lyon with a convincing 3-0 win.Griezmann capitalised on a mistake from Andre Zambo Anguissa to give Atletico the lead, before adding his second of the game with another clinical finish.Captain Gabi then scored the Spanish side’s third of the game.Speaking after the final, Juanfran expressed his confidence that the Barcelona target Griezmann will remain at Madrid for next season.David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“The finals about details and Griezmann’s goal allowed us to push forward, and for them to lower their level of play,” said the defender, according to ChicagoTribune.“We all had a great game and Griezmann was marvellous. We love him and he deserves good things to happen to him. I’m sure next year we will all be here and play another final.”The Spanish right-back is hopeful that Atletico can build on their progress over the years and start winning more silverware in the future.“Many years, many finals, more won and lost and that is great. We are having spectacular years and hopefully, we can have some more,” he added.last_img read more

first_imgAccording to Sky sources, RB Leipzig have made a new £22m offer for Everton winger Ademola Lookman.Leipzig made a £12m offer for Ademola Lookman back in July, but Everton rejected it.Lookman impressed on loan at Leipzig last season, and the Bundesliga club is keen to sign him on a permanent deal before their August 31 transfer deadline.Sky Sports reports that another bid was made, in the tune of £22m.“We want him back and he wants to come.” said Leipzig manager Ralf Rangnick earlier this summer.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…On loan last season, the winger netted four times in his final five appearances for the German club.Everton manager Marco Silva said last week that youngster was unsettled at Goodison Park but had trained well in preparations for Saturday’s game against Southampton.He wasn’t in the Everton squad for their first match against Wolves and was an unused substitute for the 2-1 victory at home against Southampton.RB Leipzig head of recruitment Paul Mitchell is a long-term admirer of Lookman and wants to sign him this summer.last_img read more

first_imgChelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga has his eyes set on David de Gea’s number one jersey in the Spanish national teamThe 23-year-old has made just the one appearance for Spain at international level in a friendly win over Costa Rica last November.But, following De Gea’s lacklustre World Cup campaign, Marca conducted a voting poll which saw fans vote for Kepa to become Spain’s new number one.However, the shot-stopper himself is refusing to get carried away and will instead attempt to convince new boss Luis Enrique of starting him ahead of De Gea on the training ground.“Being in the squad is already a reason for joy. We all want to be here and we all want to play; I work for that,” said Kepa, according to FourFourTwo.“We’ll meet the coaching staff in the first few days and get ourselves going, because we have two big games ahead.“It’s a question for the coach. What I will do is work, although obviously, we all want to play.“The coach will decide the best thing for the team, but in the training sessions, I’ll try to put in the effort, for the good of the group most of all.“All players work to compete and to play. The coach decides and we accept whatever it is, always with good harmony.“De Gea is a great goalkeeper and the goal is perfectly covered with him. The World Cup was how it was, we came back too early, but I don’t pay attention to polls or what people say. I try to isolate myself and focus on myself.”In case you were wondering how to pronounce @kepa_46’s name… ?(Cheers, Dave). pic.twitter.com/S7QbIF3zksDavid Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) August 10, 2018Chelsea made Kepa the world’s most expensive goalkeeper after forking out €80m to sign him from Athletic Bilbao last month.And the Spaniard has since kept two clean sheets in his first four Premier League games.He also insists that the €80m price tag has not brought any more pressure in his shoulders.“It’s the price it is because the market is like that, too,” Kepa said.“Higher and higher fees are being paid and I see it as a consequence of the market.“I’m getting used to my new life: a new city, new team… but it’s been positive because when things start well on the pitch, it makes everything easier.“I have felt valued. In the last few years, a lot of Spaniards have done important things here and that’s good for those of us to arrive most recently.“This is a great club, who in recent years have won the Champions League, Europa League, the Premier League… it’s a team with great players.“It was an important gamble and I’m happy to take this step. I want to enjoy it.”last_img read more