Beach Update: Pumping Finished in 40s, Moves to 55th
Check OCNJ Daily for updates and photos of the Ocean City beach replenishment project for 2015 in the south end between 37th and 59th Streets.DATE: Saturday, August 29The beach entrance at 55th Street is closed.PROGRESS: As of Saturday at dusk, sand-pumping at 47th Street is finished and crews are picking up pipeline and moving equipment for the start of the final phase at 55th Street.The beach entrances at 47th Street and 48th Street were closed on Saturday evening but likely will open on Sunday. The beach entrance at 55th Street is close and will remain so as work begins there.Beaches between 37th Street and 54th Street are now complete..About 907,000 cubic yards (62 percent of the total project) have been placed on Ocean City beaches so far.WHAT’S NEXT: Another 550,000 cubic yards (the other 38 percent) will be reserved for the area between 55th Street and 59th Street alone. That work is expected to include about 22 days of sand-pumping, which would push the completion of the project into mid- to late-September. Dune crossover work would follow. And the planting of dune grass is scheduled for November.READ MORE: Ocean City NJ Beach Replenishment 2015 Daily UpdateFOR DAILY UPDATES by E-MAIL: Sign up for free The final phase will of the south end beach replenishment project in Ocean City, NJ, will begin at 55th Street (above) and continue to 59th Street.